Discover your passion for the oldest form of medicine with innovative and practical learning.
Western Herbal Medicine is the use of medicinal plants for therapeutic purposes. A degree in Western Herbal Medicine is ideal for those who want a career incorporating herbal medicine practice as part of a holistic and scientifically based health plan. It is a holistic form of medicine which not only treats the symptoms but addresses the underlying causes of the condition.
This three-year TEQSA (Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency) approved degree provides a holistic clinical environment where you will be trained to identify individual properties of different herbs, how to prepare them and how to prescribe them. Herbal medicines are prescribed in the form of liquid extracts, infusions, powders, tablets, capsules or external preparations such as lotions, creams and ointments.
Our Bachelor of Health Science (Western Herbal Medicine) is:
- An AQF level 7 qualification
- Provided by Australia’s longest-standing school of complementary medicine with an industry-wide reputation for outstanding quality of education
- Provides outstanding clinical training facility with multi-modality onsite clinic and access to one of Australia’s best complementary medicine libraries
- Flexible, with blended study options available.
This course meets the professional standards of the following industry associations:
- ANTA (Australian Natural Therapists Association)
Students may also be eligible to join:
- National Herbalists Association of Australia (NHAA)
- Australian Traditional Medicine Society (ATMS)
- Public Health Association of Australia (PHAA)
- Australian Integrative Medicine Association (AIMA)
- Australian College of Nutritional and Environmental Medicine (ACNEM)
Students will gain hands on experience at Think Wellbeing Centre under the guidance of experienced practitioners in a clinical setting treating public patients. This prepares graduates to confidently and successfully commence practice in the community.
Career Prospects: Western Herbal Medicine practitioner, Private practice, Complementary clinics, Medical clinics, Health retreats, Health food stores, Research and education and Self employment.
What you'll learn:
- Biological and social sciences
- Western herbal medicine and clinical studies
- Alongside study in herbal manufacturing
- Properties of herbs and herbal pharmacology
- History and philosophy of herbal medicine.